RAM required for color X terminal

For several months I had been using a (loaner) NCD color X terminal
which had 8 MB of RAM.  The terminal was configured for automatic
backing-store (saving of obscured window pixel maps in RAM), and flipped
windows without a problem.  Recently our own NCD color X terminal (a
17c, like the previous) arrived.  It was ordered with only 4 MB of RAM:
I figured the terminal would simply refuse backing-store requests it
couldn't honor, or in any case I could manually disable the feature and
let the Symbolics host do its own pixel map saving and/or window
refreshing.  What I'm encountering, though, are continual errors on the
Symbolics host (ALLOC-ERROR, DRAWABLE-ERROR, etc.) when flipping windows
on the NCD.  Is the Symbolics not able to handle a bitmap-saving
refusal, or am I doing something else wrong?

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.