academic holiday specials

    Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1991 19:45-0000
    From: attila@breeze.bellcore.com

    In article <1991Oct24.201139.2103@ALEX.ims.bellcore.com>  GRoberts@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com (Gary Roberts) writes:

    > As a way of introducing our Academic customers to the new MacIvory model
    > 3, Symbolics is pleased to announce the following special prices.  These
    > prices are available to U.S. Academic institutions (subject to
    > restrictions on resale) through Dec 27, 1991 (after which they revert to
    > regular Academic prices, which are a bit higher).
    >
    > MacIvory model 3 processor with 2 MW memory, Ivory rev. 4 processor,
    > 	Genera Development software package including CLIM, CLOS, etc.
    >
    > 	Quantity 1:         $7,500
    > 	Quantity 2 or more: $5,000

    Hello,

    I haven't read this group in a long time.  Still using lispms though...
    So the first time I look, lo and behold, prices are on the agenda.
    And, there are the usual complaints....

    So, to put the prices in perspective: we paid $50,000 for a Statice site
    license.  [Yes I got all the zeros correct.]  The price was 15,000 for a
    single user copy of Joshua.  Mind you, this was 2 years ago.

    Comparing the 50,000 to 2,000 dollars, the academics get a 96% discount.
    Well, I would say this is SPECTACULAR.  Symbolics deserves a big thank
    you.

Here, here.

I am mailing from my customer's MacIvory II. He bought two Ivory
boards, paying a sum for each that makes the $5000 MacIvory III tab
above look like approximately 95% discount also.

These are much slower and had none of the Release 8.1 bundled
software.

Here in the UK, academia (I believe) gets no help or tax
concessions for computer aquisitions.

I personally know very many people who would dearly love to get
access to a MacIvory - anyhow, ever. Many like me would look to
their personal bank for the funds if the price was $5000.  The
price here is completely out of sight for all save a few massive
organisations who somehow do not notice the sums involved (like the
government, oil majors, ...).

Needless to say, there are no more than a handful of university
students who have or will ever see Genera in the UK.

Your grass looks very green from here.