Print backwards

In 8.0, our site-configured world includes a redefinition of
MAKE-HARDCOPY-STREAM.  The modification recognizes a user :PRINT-BACKWARDS
property on the printer definition in the namespace.  Unless, the options
to MAKE-HARDCOPY-STREAM explicitly, set this propeerty, the namespace default,
if any is used. (If neither option list or namespace specifies the property,
device type default is used.)

I'd like to get this hack out of our system.  Does 8.1 provide any SYMBOLICS
supported way to make the LGP2's and LGP3's behave in a way that can be
specified in the namespace?

Jeff