CLOS vs FLAVORS questions

    Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1992 00:39 EST
    From: gooch@sw-sw.dialnet.symbolics.com (William D. Gooch)

	Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1992 03:31 CST
	From: Peter Paine <p2@porter.asl.dialnet.symbolics.com>

	    Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1992 04:50-0000
	    From: gooch@sw-sw.dialnet.symbolics.com (William D. Gooch)

		Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1992 19:37 CST
		From: jbarnett@charming.nrtc.northrop.com

		In the near future, I intend to start hacking a medium large system and
		am considering using CLOS on Symbolics platforms.  I'm seeking comments
		and advice to help me decide if this is wise.  I have read the SIGPLAN
		special issue on CLOS, Keene's book, and the documentation provided by
		Symbolics.  I'm trying to understand if CLOS compares favorably to the
		current flavors capability.

	    Overall I think the answer is "Yes."  I can't think of any very good
	    reason not to use CLOS for new development work.

	Is Statice for CLOS available yet?

    Not yet, but I think they may be working on it.  There was a questionaire
    sent out a few months ago asking how users would respond to such a change
    (I forget whether this was on paper or electronic, but I recall that we
    had a fairly in-depth discussion of it by email with Neil Feinberg at
    Symbolics, discussing the implications).

Yes, Symbolics is actively working on creating a CLOS-oriented version
of Statice.  We'll inform this list as it approaches availability.