Backup to file server

   Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1992 15:54-0500
   From: Barry Margolin <barmar@think.com>

   Does anyone have any modifications to the LMFS backup software that
   allow it to use files on a file server as the backup medium instead of
   tapes.  I've been using the Unix RTAPE server to dump to 9-track
   reel-to-reel tapes on a Unix server, but we're phasing out those drives
   here; most of our Unix dumps are done on Exabytes.  Also, the amount of
   data that changes on our LMFS server is little enough that it's hard to
   justify wasting a whole tape; I just did a three-month consolidated
   backup, and only dumped 28 files.

I use this technique to do incremental backups of our LMFS file server to a
UNIX file system.  The code I put together is a bunch of patches to the
Symbolics dumper code, so I probably shouldn't just send it out to this
mailing list (however, if Symbolics doesn't mind, I wouldn't).  Barry, I
know that you have a license, so I'll send you a copy.

Dan