short doc

    Well, I certainly miss the old behavior of getting a short doc string
    printed out in ZMACs for any CL function that I might control-shift-D
    at.  Trundling off to the document examiner is disruptive (I *don't*
    want to change screens) and slow.  Instead, I just use my copy of
    Steele, even though most of the time, all I wanted was a terse reminder.

I agree; the notion of "short documentation" had a lot to recommend it.
Although it doesn't solve your problem, you may remember that m-sh-a
displays a the documentation record while inside Zmacs.

    It would be fine by me if the doc strings were not loaded in the base
    world and you had to load an additional set of files to make them
    available for some set of software.  If that were the case, I would
    typically run with doc strings for CL and CLIM, but not for the rest of
    the system.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to get the "oneliner" from the
documentation record while in the editor?

John Krieger (s9274@srl1.lanl.gov)
Westinghouse Savannah River Company