Quadra ethernet connector (was: Ivory III in Quadras?)

    Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1992 13:42 EDT
    From: York@chuck-jones.west.dialnet.ila.com (William M. York)

        Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1992 20:57 PST
        From: CarlManning@ai.mit.edu

        ...However, note a couple Mac/Quadra limitations:

        (1) The Quadra onboard ethernet interface requires an adapter
        (probably a transeiver) from Apple which costs at least half as much
        as an ethernet card, and we had to wait several weeks to get them
        (thru our campus microcomputer center, but no retail outlets in the
        area had them either; the shortage may be fixed by now).  (I don't
        understand why Apple included only half an ethernet interface ---
        marketing?)

    Doesn't it even have the BNC connector that would allow you to
    connect it to a thin-wire Ethernet?

No.  The Quadra has a flat 14 conductor connector shaped like a 14 contact
printed circuit slot, 7 conductors on each side.  (Apple docs describes it as
an Apple Ethernet 14-pin connector.)  You need an Apple Ethernet Attachment
Unit Interface (AUI) for either thick- or thinnet.  We were in a position to
attach to either, so we asked the dealer which AUI was cheaper, but they were
the same price.

Cheers,

CarlManning