X-based memory thermometer?

Yesterday I replaced my 3650's console with an NCD X terminal.  Most of
my work these days is with Unix (I never thought I'd become a Unix
wizard, but I just sort of evolved into one), and many of the
applications we use are based on X windows.  An X terminal makes a
better Lispm console (using X Remote Screen) than a Lispm makes an X
server (I've been using the Symbolics X server ever since ILA first
developed it).

There are two things I most miss in this configuration, though: the run
bars and the memory thermometer.  I expect the run bars are an
impossible dream (I believe UX boards achieve them using low-level Ivory
features that are not available on a 36xx).  But there's no reason why
memory thermometers couldn't be implemented in this configuration.

I've been using Dave Loeffler's memory thermometer facility for a few
years.  But it draws in the screen borders using arrays displaced to the
console video memory, and that can't work for remote screens.  Before I
modify it, does anyone have a memory thermometer implementation that
works in this configuration?  Ideally, the thermometer should be able to
be placed in its own X window; if it uses the activity system this
should come for free (you'd just do "Start X Screen <server> :Activity
Memory Thermometer").

One other thing I miss, of course, is the Symbolics keyboard.  Luckily
I've always been pretty good at adapting myself to different keyboards.
I was just wondering: Symbolics makes an adapter to let their keyboards
be used with Macintoshes (for MacIvory).  If I were to run MacX on a
Macintosh with such a keyboard, and then I were to use X Remote Screen
to use a Lispm from that Mac, would it recognize the Symbolics keyboard
and map all the keys to their usual functions?

By the way, if anyone else has any tips or caveats for me about using X
Remote Screen, I'd like to hear them.  I already know that if I go into
the cold load stream or FEP I must switch to a real console (the console
for our LMFS server also sits on my table, so I just unplug its console
cable and plug in mine).

                                                barmar