NFS ~'s

    Date: Mon, 18 May 1992 18:41 EDT
    From: qobi@unagi.cis.upenn.edu

    Quick question: How does one control whether Symbolics NFS treats version
    numbers as foo.lisp.~1~ or foo.lisp.1

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I think you're asking what it
takes for Genera with NFS to parse a Unix versioned pathname (ending in
.~<version>~) such that PATHNAME-VERSION returns something other than
:UNSPECIFIC.  The answer is that if one of the directories in the
pathname ends in ".sct", Genera expects all files to have version
numbers, and parses the version number out.  If none of the ancestor
directories have the ".sct" suffix, the file name is parsed the
traditional way, so the version number ends up being treated as the
type.

If you're talking about how NFS *creates* versioned files, if the server
is Unix then it always uses ~<version>~; it will never create
foo.lisp.1.

For details about both of these, see sections 3.3.1.3 UNIX Backup Files,
and 3.3.1.4 Using SCT with a UNIX File System, in the Genera 8.1 Bundled
Network Products Documentation manual (or in the Document Examiner).

                                                barmar