tape drives

I have a couple of old smbxs that I'm going to have to get rid of.  Problem is,
they are our only symbolicses that have tape drives resident in them.  Our other
machines are mostly ux's.  My question:  can I use tape drives on suns for all
interesting tape reading and writing, without loss of functionality or fidelity?
or will I have to buy something to add to my xl400 or xl1200 to move the drive from
the 3620 to the xl?  The sun answer is much more important, because the xl's aren't
always available, while the suns are..

Additionally, is it possible to have a UX come up as a namespace server?

Arlo Ames
alames@sandia.gov