Package problem, revisted

I tried Craig Lanning's suggestion and defined my alp-clos package as:

(defpackage alp-clos) within the FCL-USER package.

I still received the error:
...CLASS-PROTOTYPE is undefined error.
when loading the system into a clean machine.

If i tell the system to use the definition of CLOS:CLASS-PROTOTYPE instead, everything loads.

I am definitely on the right track now, but how do i avoid this error?  CLASS-PROTOTYPE is
apparently some subfunction to one of the CLOS functions I call; I don't call it out
explicitly.  How do I tell the system that I always want the CLOS definition?

--Robin