opening and closing a stream

I am working on a multi-frame application under CLIM 1.1 where I want
to send debug output to a window or to a file depending on user
commands.
Example:
(define-simac-command (com-debug-to-file ...
 (setf *debug-stream* (open (pathname "debug") :direction :output))

(define-simac-command (com-debug-off ...
 (close *debug-stream*)

The application opens then a file for output and should write all
debug output to it, but nothing happens! The file is opened, the
variable *debug-stream* holds the file handle but no output is
written. Additionally the file cannot be closed later on by a close
statement from within the application. Only the "Close File" command
from the Listener leads to a closing of the stream.
I can't use "with-open-file" as the debug output doesn't happen
within one function.
Any ideas?

Bernd Wild

Bernd Wild

Forschungszentrum Informatik FZI
Dept. Technical Expert Systems and Robotics
Haid-und-Neu-Strasse 10-14
D-7500 Karlsruhe GERMANY

Tel:   +49-721-9654-310
Fax:   +49-721-9654-309