how to grow the file band

    Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 17:15 MDT
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

	Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1992 09:45 EDT
	From: chyde@chesapeake.ads.com (Clinton Hyde)

	what is the preferred way to cleanly increase the size of the file
	partition? I can't find anything obvious in the manuals...

    Parition maintenance is in level 3, [Local LMFS Operations / LMFS
    Maintenance Operations], of the File System Editor (Select F).  You can
    either grow an existing partition with [Grow Partition], or add a new
    partition with [Initialize (R)].

    A few releases ago [Grow Partition] had a reputation for being buggy,
    but I believe those problems were fixed.  But even so, I generally
    prefer adding a new partition, as it makes it easier to shrink the LMFS
    later (there's no [Shrink Partition], but there is [Remove Partition]).

						    barmar

Of course, there is a trade off here. By having multiple partitions, you
can get into the situation where you have enough room in LMFS to save a
file, but not enough room in a *partition* to save it. This only happens
when a partition is very full, but it sounds like that might be a part
of the conditions under which you work.

My feeling is that if space is really tight, you're better off with a
single partition, even though this gives you less flexibilty as barmar
mentioned.

And while we're dealing with reputations, didn't [Remove Partition] also
have reputation for being buggy back in the release 6 days? I'd do a
complete backup before I'd do a Remove Partition, but this is probably
superstition.

One last suggestion: before you decide that you really need more LMFS
space, try using [salvage] which is also on level 3 of the File System
Editor. You might find that you regain so much LMFS space that no more
is needed.