PPE timezone & ZMAIL

    Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 18:49 EST
    From: Mabry Tyson <TYSON@ai.sri.com>

    I just noticed some mail I had included a time zone of PPE which ZMAIL
    didn't understand.  To fix it, use

	    (time:assign-zone "PPE" 7)

If you receive mail with this time zone, you should inform the sender
that his system is misconfigured.  I believe PPE is the Pacific
Presidential Election time zone.  This was a proposed modification to
the Daylight Savings Time rules where the west coast would delay
switching to Standard Time until after Election Day in presidential
election years; this way, the time difference between the east and west
coasts would be smaller, so the effect of predictions made after the
east coast polls closed would be lessened.  During that two-week period
they would be in the PPE zone.  The bill never became a law, but some
computer systems (SunOS 4.1.x, I believe) were configured when it looked
likely, so the default Pacific Time Zone was set this way.

                                                barmar