secure subnet problems

    Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1992 15:09 EST
    From: Scott_Busse@mindlink.bc.ca (Scott Busse)

    I'm having the same problem as David R. Strip described, wherein any
    attempts to access the namespace server (3650, on Genera 8.1.1, named
    MindsEye or M)are refused.

I haven't gotten anything from David recently.

      In one case, I'm trying to put and get files from the server with
    TCPTP on an amiga. I had no problems doing this when the server was
    on Genera 7.2, but now I get an error message to the effect "Amfar
    (the Amiga) refused FTP access." This error cropped up when I upgraded
    to 8.1.1.
      In the other case, another 3650 (named Sentia or S) previously had
    no problems under 7.2. Now alot of water has passed under the bridge
    since I started trying to fix the Amiga problem, and somewhere some-
    time the inter-Symbolics net started showing the same problems
    described by David. This case is not as important to me as the Amiga
    problem, since this machine has intermittent A-Mem problems anyway,
    but I'm assuming the problems are caused by the same beast.
      I'm using bogus INTERNET addresses (M - INTERNET 200.0.0.5, CHAOS
    401 : S - INTERNET 200.0.0.2, CHAOS 402 : A (amiga) - INTERNET
    200.0.0.6).  I set the INTERNET Network object subnet masks to
    INTERNET-SUBNET-MASKS (("200.0.0.6" "255.255.255.6")) as was
    described in David's reply, to no avail (actually it was the user
    property field in the INTERNET Network object), to no avail.
      Enable services ALL was issued, I tried rebooting, all having no
    effect. I'm probably missing something, can anyone tell me what it
    is?
    Thanks for any help!  Scott

That subnet mask doesn't look correct.  First of all, if you're not
using subnetting, you don't need an INTERNET-SUBNET-MASKS property at
all.  By default, an IP address beginning with a 200 octet uses the
first three octets as the network and the last octet as the host, which
seems to match what you're doing.  If you wanted to make this default
explicit, you would write:

INTERNET-SUBNET-MASKS (("200.0.0.0" "255.255.255.0"))

In each entry in the subnet masks list, the left entry is a class A, B,
or C network address and the right entry is the bit mask that indicates
which part of such addresses is the subnet field rather than the host
field.  If you're using the last octet as the host field, the above is
the correct mask.

Your subject line mentions secure subnets, but you didn't show your
Secure Subnets value.  It should contain 200.0.0.0, or you can just set
it to "All" if you don't want secure subnet checking (e.g. if you're not
connected to the Internet -- which seems likely since you're using an
unassigned IP address).

By the way, it would probably be a good idea for you to get an
officially assigned IP network.  That way, if you ever do connect to the
Internet you wouldn't
                                                barmar