Re: C++ reference?

  Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 19:14-0500
  From: "John G. Aspinall" <JGA@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>
  Subject: C++ reference?
  To: gooch%tijeras.SW-SW.dialnet.symbolics.com@riverside.scrc.symbolics.com
  Cc: slug@ai.sri.com

      Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 15:27 EST
      From: William D. Gooch <gooch@tijeras.sw-sw.com>

      Can anyone recommend a good reference on C++?  It would be particularly
      nice if there were a "C++ For CLOS Hackers," or some such.  I have a
      small amount of C++ experience, but I want to come up to full speed as
      quickly as possible for a new project.  Thanks.

  I too have been looking for "C++ For CLOS Hackers".  While I haven't
  found anything suitable I can tell you that Stroustrup's books [1] are
  among the most opaque imaginable.  Lippman [2] came recommended, but
  is of the standard variety aimed at C programmers.

  Please pass on any tips you get.

  [1] Stroustrup, Bjarne "The C++ Programming Language" Addison Wesley  ISBN 0-201-12078-X
      Ellis, Margaret A. and Stroustrup Bjarne "The Annotated C++ Reference Manual"
          Addison Wesley   ISBN 0-201-51459-1
  [2] Lippman, Stanley B.  "C++ Primer"  Addison Wesley   ISBN 0-201-16487-6

You should have at least one of these books for reference about the
language.  I use Lippman's.  To actually program, i recommend one or both of
the following:

[4] Scott Meyers "Effective C++" Addison Wesley, 1992.  IBSN 0-201-56364-9

    This book helps you over the first 50 pitfalls in the language.

[5] James O. Coplien, Advanced C++, Addison-Wesley, 1992 IBSN 0-201-54855-0

    This book covers things that a Lisper is used to, like garbage
    collection and incremental loading.