Send file problems...

I'm using the symbolics terminal program to connect to a
local bbs. Things are ok with the "set wallpaper file" for
capturing incoming messages, but I want to compose my out-
going messages offline and then blast them into the bbs
buffer when I'm connected. I supposed that the "send file"
extended command would allow me to send a disk file, but
when I enter the file pathname and hit return, the line
is immediatly hung up, and I'm put back to the Terminal
Program prompt. Am I using it wrong?
  While I'm on the Terminal subject, is there a way to
do downloads of binary files, using x-modem or some such
protocol? Or am I limited to ascii files only?
  Furthermore, the editor on this bbs handles all the
screen scrolling and line re-drawing, which seems to be
in conflict with the Terminal program's scrollable window.
the consequence is that I'm often left with a cursor in
the middle of a blank screen.
  I guess what I need is for someone to make a few general
suggestions on what terminal simulator is best, or which
one does what. I'm currently using the default (Ambassador)
as my previous attempt to use VT100 didn't seem to improve
things. The bbs does allow terminal emulation of many types
though, BTW.     Thanks, Scott