meta/escape key problem

I work on a symbolics, but quite often use its terminal capabilities to have a
connection to SPARCs. I'd like to be able to use the meta key on my symbolics
"terminal" and have it interpreted as being an ESC on the SPARC. Is this
possible?  Do I have to play around with some sort of keyboard mapping table on
the symbolics or should I change something in the TERMCAP settings on the sun
(I'd rather go for the first mentionned if possible)? Needless to say that I'd
like to have this change affect the keyboard's behaviour only while I use the
terminal application.

Any hints?

Eric Sauthier
AI lab
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne
email: sauthier@lia.di.epfl.ch