what to buy as a functional equivalent of a Symbolics?

subject: what to buy as a functional equivalent of a Symbolics?

Could anybody out there help us in the following problem?

We have an old Symbolics 3620 that is very good in all respects
but our founding agencies want more compatibility in new
installments. So we would like to buy a functional equivalent
of our old pet.

I have seen some workstations with add-on cards, but what are
your experiences? Needless to say, we need something from the
lower half of the pricelist.

Many thanks - if anybody wants to have a summary of the

A. Markus, Computer and Automation Institute, Budapest/Hungary