GC speed

   Date: Wed, 27 Apr 88 14:23:36 CDT
   From: wu@cs.wisc.edu (Felix S.-T. Wu)

   I am running T3.1 on a Vax8550 (~10 MIPS), the garbage collection seems
   to be a little slow to me.  For instance, it took about 4.6 seconds (timed by
   the provided "time" form) to GC a just started T process (with 4M bytes
   for each half of the heap).  What I would like to know is: Is this GC speed
   kind of slow or normal (or fast) ?  If it is slow, why is it ?  Is it
   inherent because of T's data representation or what ?

I don't know.  In general the GC is very slow but on a Sun 3/140 (16Mz 68020)
it took 7.2 seconds.  I hope that some time someone will make the GC fast.

	-David