accessing bytev elements

I am passing a structure (bytev) to a foreign routine (C).  Is there a way
to pack and unpack that structure in T for elements of types other than
numbers?  I would like to write (bref-string <bytev> <index>) and
(bref-extend <bytev> <index>) along with the analogous setters.  Another
possibility would be conversion functions such as string->rep/string.  This
latter could be faked with a call to a dummy c routine of one argument that
returns that arument and use define foreign to do the conversions, but this
doesn't seem to efficient.  This is for a T interface to the Berkeley CAD
database Oct.

		Thanks, JJHunt