CHAR & CHDR

These two functions annoy me because they aren't analogous to
CAR and CDR.  In particular, CHAR of the empty string is an
error, and CHDR of an empty string is an Unreasonable.

I think the CHDR of an empty string should be an empty string.
I think the CHAR of an empty string should be either the empty
string or nil.  I realize that the return value of CHAR is
expected to be a character, but having some return value (albeit
of the wrong type) is better than having an error.

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science Department
    3531 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90024
    ARPA:  srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt