[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FIXNUM-IDENTITY et al
- To: RMS at MIT-MC, (BUG LISP) at MIT-MC
- Subject: FIXNUM-IDENTITY et al
- From: REM at MIT-MC (Robert Elton Maas)
- Date: Thu, 16 Aug 79 11:47:00 GMT
- Original-date: 16 AUG 1979 0747-EDT
I think I disagree with RMS. These are identity functions in the mathematical
sense, with domain and range as indicated. Their names take the functional
point of view. Perhaps FIXNUM-COERCE and FLONUM-COERCE would be slightly
better since their DOMAIN can be coerced from other numerical domains thus
isn't as rigid as their present name might indicate. RMS's suggestion,
however, is worse, since it implies a global side-effect like the ASSUME
feature of MACSYMA, which these functions don't provide.
Well, there's my intelligent vote, for what it's worth.