[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Claims in MUC-I proceedings...
- To: GLS at MIT-MC
- Subject: Claims in MUC-I proceedings...
- From: KMP at MIT-MC (Kent M. Pitman)
- Date: Thu, 29 Nov 79 03:41:00 GMT
- Cc: JONL at MIT-MC, (BUG LISP) at MIT-MC, (BUG FORTRAN) at MIT-MC
- Original-date: 28 NOV 1979 2241-EST
JONL claims in ``LISP: Program is Data'' that you have perfect output for
flonums in MacLISP -- this isn't so. Are you aware? eg,
1.70141182E+38 prints as 1.70141183E+38 which if you try to reread it
will give ;ARITHMETIC OVERFLOW error ...
*Really* losing since my Fortran translator generates this quantity for
Fortran numbers that overflow the precision of our machine (figures a
maximally large number is a good substitution) but I am screwed because
I can't read those text files back into a Lisp to get them compiled.
Re-reading as another number is one thing, but not reading at all is a