[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Redefining Return and Line
- To: Mark J. Dulcey <Dulcey at MIT-AI>
- Subject: Redefining Return and Line
- From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK at SCRC-TENEX>
- Date: Sat ,8 May 82 03:26:00 EDT
- Cc: BUG-LISPM at MIT-AI, BUG-ZWEI at MIT-AI, DOC-CHANGES at SCRC-TENEX
- In-reply-to: The message of 6 May 82 22:01-EDT from Mark J. Dulcey <Dulcey at MIT-AI>
Date: 6 May 1982 22:01-EDT
From: Mark J. Dulcey <Dulcey at MIT-AI>
RMS has suggested another alternative for this. The idea is to create a
new ZMACS variable called Indent-New-Line-Function. Insert New Line would
call this instead of calling what is on Return (if the variable is bound
and not NIL, of course). I suppose to be completely general, you should
have Indent-New-Line-New-Line-Function and Indent-New-Line-Indent-Function.
Mode hook functions could, of course, set these.
RMS's suggestion is the right way to do this. I can recall wishing for this
in EMACS for some reason or other.
*INDENT-NEW-LINE-NEW-LINE-FUNCTION* (default = NIL) and
*INDENT-NEW-LINE-INDENT-FUNCTION* (default = NIL).
(These can be set via M-X Set Variable, as Indent New Line New Line Function, etc.)
If NIL, the definitions on Return and Tab will be used, so people can
continue setting those and win.
This will appear in 211 and later.