[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FUNCTION-TYPE and Archives
- To: cl-cleanup@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- Subject: FUNCTION-TYPE and Archives
- From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
- Date: Sun, 17 May 1987 22:42 EDT
- In-reply-to: Msg of 13 May 1987 12:14-EDT from Dick Gabriel <RPG at SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>
- Sender: FAHLMAN@C.CS.CMU.EDU
In reply to: Dick Gabriel <RPG at SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>.
Second, about the FUNCTION-TYPE proposal: I support it, but mildly.
I favor a much stronger change, and this proposal is just barely above
the level of acceptability to me.
I assume that the "stronger proposal" you favor would require FUNCALL,
APPLY, and friends to accept only true functions.
I would go along with putting both options into the proposal we send to
X3J13 and let them vote on it. My guess is that the conservatives would
prevail, but I personally would favor the "stronger proposal". (That's
easy for me, because I have relatively little code to maintain.) It
might be worth a try -- maybe truth and beauty would win.
However, there's a chance that if we put forward two options, the whole
thing will bog down for a while. I wonder if it is worth the risk of