[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: labrea!KMP%STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM@labrea.Stanford.EDU
- Subject: Issue: EXPORT-IMPORT
- From: Jon L White <edsel!jonl@labrea.Stanford.EDU>
- Date: Wed, 3 Feb 88 17:38:55 PST
- Cc: labrea!CL-Cleanup%SAIL@labrea.Stanford.EDU
- In-reply-to: Kent M Pitman's message of Wed, 3 Feb 88 11:34 EST <880203113410.5.KMP@RIO-DE-JANEIRO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
re: The reason for this issue in the first place is that we have an outstanding
bug report from a Cloe customer who says that EXPORT is not doing an
implicit IMPORT . . . and I'm trying to figure out which side to fix.
So this is not a contrived issue (as Jonl suggested it might be).
No, I didn't suggest that it was somehow contrived. Your original proposal
mentioned that "some users" erroneously though that export was defined to
do an import first, and I too have seen persons make this mistake. Instead,
I question why IMPORT-EXPORT:YES comes up as a cleanup proposal (rather than
as a topic for discussion on, say, the common-lisp mailing list). At best,
more emphasis in the documentation might be needed, if users continue to
be misled here.
-- JonL --