[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue: WITH-OPEN-STRING-APPEND-STYLE (Version 2)
- To: Moon@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com
- Subject: Issue: WITH-OPEN-STRING-APPEND-STYLE (Version 2)
- From: Jon L White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 23 May 88 17:31:34 PDT
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: David A. Moon's message of Mon, 23 May 88 18:35 EDT <19880523223541.1.MOON@EUPHRATES.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
re: A more serious nit is that the issue is misnamed since there is
no Common Lisp facility named "with-open-string". The intended
name was probably "with-output-to-string-append-style".
No. This issue isn't just about with-output-to-string, but is an attempt
to unify FORMAT and WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING. The fact that there is only
one proposal -- to alter with-output-to-string -- doesn't change that,
since I anticipated the possibility of a proposal to change format instead.
re: [Aesthetics:] ... also I think the Steele quotation [about FORMAT] was
never relevant to this issue.
Maybe you missed the humor in Guy's original quote?
-- JonL --