[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue: WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING-APPEND-STYLE (Version 4)
- To: cl-cleanup@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- Subject: Issue: WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING-APPEND-STYLE (Version 4)
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Tue, 24 May 88 13:20 EDT
- In-reply-to: <8805240502.AA04386@bhopal.lucid.com>
I approve of WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING-APPEND-STYLE:VECTOR-PUSH-EXTEND.
VaxLisp 2.2 and Lucid 3.0 implement the proposal; Lucid 2.1 and earlier
versions implement CLtL. For WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING, Xerox Common Lisp
implements CLtL. The question is entirely moot for Symbolics since
it is impossible to create a non-adjustable string, even upon demand.
The last sentence is not really true. For example, the following
signals an error, rather than inconspicuously dropping characters:
(setq s1 (make-string 10))
(setq s2 (make-array 10 :displaced-to s1 :element-type 'string-char))
(adjustable-array-p s2) => nil
(with-output-to-string (s s2 :index i)
(loop repeat 20 do (write-char #\c s)))
I would change the current practice to say Symbolics Genera 7.2
implements the proposal (I did not check Symbolics CLOE).