[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue: FORMAT-PRETTY-PRINT (version 3)
- To: "cl-cleanup" <cl-cleanup%sail.stanford.edu@Multimax>, vanroggen%SAIL.Stanford.EDU@multimax
- Subject: Re: Issue: FORMAT-PRETTY-PRINT (version 3)
- From: Dan L. Pierson <pierson%mist@multimax.ARPA>
- Date: Fri, 10 Jun 88 13:42:20 EDT
- In-reply-to: Your message of 10 Jun 88 12:46:00 -0400. <8806101713.AA05859@multimax.ARPA>
I think it's confusing to say that FORMAT always binds *PRINT-ESCAPE* to
NIL and also either binds it to T or NIL as required by various directives.
That was a kludge to make it clear that non of the text in format
statements is ever escaped. It is probably unnecessary and a mistake.
Furthermore, this would seem to disallow directives which don't bind any
of those *PRINT-xxx* variables. VAX LISP has a ~W directive which prints
using the current *PRINT-xxx* bindings.
Good point. A new draft will appear shortly.