[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
ISSUE: VARIABLE-LIST-ASYMMETRY (Version 1)
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: ISSUE: VARIABLE-LIST-ASYMMETRY (Version 1)
- From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Mon, 1 Aug 88 10:15 EDT
- Cc: CL-Cleanup@SAIL.Stanford.EDU
- In-reply-to: The message of 26 Jul 88 19:52 EDT from Skona Brittain <email@example.com>
I'm happy to see this issue raised. This stupid little inconsistency
has been irritating me and others for a while now.
However, I recommend re-casting the proposal to permit all three forms.
The rationale for that is:
- Most implementations provide all three versions since Maclisp
did. In cases where there is a pre-CL tradition, that's usually
- Regularization is nice, but some may find it gratuitous. To
minimize code breakage, the right thing is to only add cases,
not remove any, if that is feasible. In this case, it is
trivially possible. Simply add ``(VAR)'' for DO and DO*
and ``VAR'' for LET/LET*.
Btw, in Current Practice, Symbolics Genera permits all three forms.