[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue: DECLARE-TYPE-FREE (Version 5)
- To: KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM
- Subject: Issue: DECLARE-TYPE-FREE (Version 5)
- From: Jon L White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 1 Oct 88 21:01:30 PDT
- Cc: masinter.pa@Xerox.COM, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: Kent M Pitman's message of Sat, 1 Oct 88 16:36 EDT <881001163641.4.KMP@GRYPHON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
I agree with you that the "style" comment paragraph should be flushed.
re: "FIXNUM is not a subtype of (OR BIT PACKAGE) nor vice versa.
There are two cases of interest: ..."
- The outer declaration is a subtype of the inner. eg,
- The outer declaration is not a subtype of the inner, and vice versa.
That is, the two types only partly overlap (or don't overlap at all).
Well, foo, in a previous message I claimed that the only legitimate case
is when the inner declaration is a subtype of the outter; that is a
third case you didn't cover. I think it was Gray's suggestion that
we generalize this strict restraint into permitting an inner declaration
to merely have a non-null intersection. But I don't see the value of
it, and it even prevents a certain amount of "strong typing" error
-- JonL --