[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue: PRINT-PRETTY-HOOK (version 1)
- To: "David A. Moon" <Moon%STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM@multimax>
- Subject: Re: Issue: PRINT-PRETTY-HOOK (version 1)
- From: Dan L. Pierson <pierson%mist@multimax.ARPA>
- Date: Tue, 04 Oct 88 09:57:34 EDT
- Cc: cl-cleanup%sail.stanford.edu@multimax
- In-reply-to: Your message of Mon, 03 Oct 88 21:52:00 -0400. <19881004015229.2.MOON@EUPHRATES.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
I don't think you answered my question. Do you want to change the
effect of -all- calls to WRITE, PRINT, FORMAT ~S, etc.? Or do you
want to only change the printing by interactive tools (you mentioned
the read-eval-print loop, the debugger, and trace)?
Sorry, I want to change the effect of -all- calls. The only reason
that I harp on the interactive tools is that they are frequently the
hardest to change. If my own code wants to avoid the this feature I
can easily disable it locally.
It sounds to me like what you want is a function you can redefine
(or equivalently a variable you can SETQ to a function) together
with a specification of in what situations the function will be
Right, though dynamic binding would be more convenient than setting in
some cases such as local disabling.
Once that's clear a name can be chosen. Possibly the
feature already exists in the language, via a :AROUND method
on PRINT-OBJECT with no specialized parameters, depending on whether
what that does is precisely what you wanted.
Does it do what I want (I'm not yet a CLOS theologian)?