[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue: REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS (Version 2)
- To: KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM
- Subject: Issue: REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS (Version 2)
- From: Jon L White <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Oct 88 14:49:45 PDT
- Cc: CL-Cleanup@SAIL.Stanford.EDU
- In-reply-to: Kent M Pitman's message of Thu, 13 Oct 88 19:06 EDT <881013190628.6.KMP@BOBOLINK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
re: I (KMP) made a note to myself about the fact that we shouldn't encourage
people to add optional arguments to things -- maybe we should have a
policy that vendor extensions to arguments must be by keyword to help
avoid and/or detect portability conflicts.
Sounds like good advice. But the situation re REQUIRE is a bit thornier
since the proposal is to make the incompatible change of flushing the
&optional argument. I had imagined that Lucid's implementation would
accommodate to this merely by "doing nothing" (except retracting a
bit of documentation); this is so that those few souls here at Lucid
that actually use the second argument wouldn't be inconvenienced.
If your "good advice" about extending a standardized argument spectrum
is adopted seriously, then I don't suppose it would really pose a hardship
on these "few souls" at Lucid to modify their code.
-- JonL --