[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: logical pathnames
- To: masinter.pa@XEROX.COM
- Subject: Re: logical pathnames
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Wed, 2 Nov 88 13:32 EST
- Cc: Eric Benson <email@example.com>, KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM, CL-Cleanup@SAIL.Stanford.EDU
- In-reply-to: <881031-144154-6391@Xerox>
- Line-fold: No
Date: 31 Oct 88 14:41 PST
I think we need a set of coherent "pathname" proposals. They probably need
to be examined in toto. The combiniation of -CANONICAL-TYPE,
-COMPONENT-CASE, and a few others bother me because they don't necessarily
It would be very useful to have a writeup of "current practice" in this
area. In the Common Lisp documentation I have (which includes recent
documententation for Envos Medley, Procyon, Franx EXCL, and Vax Lisp, but
no others) this information is sketchy. At least the Franx EXCL
documentation describes how various Unix pathnames are parsed by
PARSE-NAMESTRING. Since I don't have the symbolics documentation handy its
a little harder to figure out what Genera Logical Pathnames might do.
Larry, I mailed you the relevant Symbolics book today.
EB: can you be convinced to put together a proposal?
I assume you can pass it along to Eric if you think he should have it
instead of you, since you're in adjoining towns.