[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue: CLOS-CONDITIONS (Version 4)
- To: Mly@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
- Subject: Issue: CLOS-CONDITIONS (Version 4)
- From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Mon, 13 Mar 89 13:06 EST
- Cc: KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM, CL-Cleanup@SAIL.Stanford.EDU
- In-reply-to: <19890313173553.9.MLY@JACKIE-O.AI.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 89 12:35 EST
From: Richard Mlynarik <Mly@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 89 14:07 EST
From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
1. Define that condition types are CLOS classes.
2. Define that condition objects are CLOS instances.
4. Define that slots in condition objects are normal CLOS slots. Note
that WITH-SLOTS can be used to provide more convenient access to the
slots where slot accessors are undesirable.
This isn't any sort of clarification. The actual clarification required
-- which has been requested several times, and not just by myself -- is
what the *METACLASS* of condition types is.
I do not agree that it is a -necessary- thing to specify the Meta-Class
of conditions because all intended uses of conditions can be done
without this information.
I agree that it is a -possibly useful- thing to do, but there is a down
side to it -- it would unnecessarily tie the hands of people who want
implementation flexibility for one reason or another.
I happen to like your idea of a READ-ONLY-CLASS, by the way.
I do not mind if someone proposes this change, but I do believe it is not
properly a part of the "essential changes" to integrate conditions with
CLOS. As such, I would prefer that it not be raised as part of this issue
because I don't want to risk this level of changes not going through due
to worry over that issue.
I would be happy to see you write up a separate proposal on the issue.
I can't guarantee that it will be accepted due to all the impending
deadlines, but my vote will not be to table it on mere procedural grounds.
I can't speak for anyone else.
Please call the new issue CONDITION-META-CLASS.