[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue: COMPILER-LET-CONFUSION (Version 6)
- To: Kent M Pitman <KMP@scrc-stony-brook.arpa>, sandra <@cs.utah.edu:sandra@defun>
- Subject: Re: Issue: COMPILER-LET-CONFUSION (Version 6)
- From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
- Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 22:39:04 GMT
- Cc: CL-Compiler@sail.stanford.edu
- In-reply-to: Kent M Pitman's message of Mon, 9 Jan 89 15:34 EST
> The question about whether the extent of an &ENV argument is indefinite or
> dynamic is interesting. Is there a cleanup to cover this? I agree that
> CLtL is not technically ambiguous -- that is, I don't recall ever having seen
> anything to make me assume it's dynamic -- but I've always assumed it anyway.
> I think Genera implements it as dynamic. Is there any good reason to want
> it to be otherwise?
It is sometimes useful to be able to get the current macro env (for
code walkers, say), but if it has dynamic extent it's impossible to
I favor a cleanup issue, since it seems there is some doubt as to
what is required.