[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: MAKE-LOAD-FORM can handle circularities
- To: "David A. Moon" <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Subject: Re: MAKE-LOAD-FORM can handle circularities
- From: David N Gray <Gray@DSG.csc.ti.com>
- Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 14:10:14 CST
- Cc: Sandra J Loosemore <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, CL-Compiler@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- In-reply-to: Msg of Wed, 11 Jan 89 12:53 EST from David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Sender: GRAY@Kelvin.csc.ti.com
> To throw a digression into the discussion, the only thing I know of
> that's hard about file-level EQ preservation is EQness of CDRs in
> implementations with cdr-coding of lists. Even that's only "hard" in
> the sense that it is difficult to convince implementors to do EQness
> checking by treating each individual cons as a separate object, rather
> than treating the whole list as a single object, because it seems (and
> in fact is) less efficient. Symbolics Genera 7.x gets this wrong. What
> about the TI Explorer?
Good point. The Explorer also treats a list as a single object, without
looking for matches on successive cdrs. Given the efficiency
considerations involved, I would be reluctant to consider this a bug.
Issue CONSTANT-CIRCULAR-COMPILATION does need to address this, at least in
the "current practice" section.