[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue DEFCONSTANT-VALUE (V2)
- To: email@example.com (Sandra J Loosemore)
- Subject: Re: Issue DEFCONSTANT-VALUE (V2)
- From: Rob.MacLachlan@WB1.CS.CMU.EDU
- Date: Fri, 07 Oct 88 13:26:13 EDT
- Cc: David N Gray <Gray@dsg.csc.ti.com>, CL-Compiler@sail.stanford.edu
- In-reply-to: Your message of Thu, 06 Oct 88 16:19:26 -0600. <8810062219.AA15555@defun.utah.edu>
(+ const 3) is not constantp. I strongly favor compile-time evaluation of
the defconstant value form because it is easy to understand and explain.
If we always evaluate, then there is no need to define the concept of a
"compile time constant form".
I agree that the evaluation should always be done in the null environment
(or the environment should be determined by some implicit-eval-when model.)