[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue: QUOTE-SEMANTICS, or QUOTE-MAY-COPY (Version 4)
- To: Jon L White <jonl%lucid.com@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>, KMP@scrc-stony-brook.arpa
- Subject: Re: Issue: QUOTE-SEMANTICS, or QUOTE-MAY-COPY (Version 4)
- From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
- Date: Sun, 29 Jan 89 21:32:53 GMT
- Cc: Moon@scrc-stony-brook.arpa, CL-Compiler@sail.stanford.edu
> re: The problem is that a lot of copying advocates have been going around
> trying to use "the need for copying" as leverage for restricting
> the set of things which I may quote. My view is that it is my write
> to quote whatever I want, and it's up to the person who thinks they
> can do something fun with copying to not get themselves in deeper than
> they can handle.
> Kent, I agree with you 100% on this (your "point 2"; modulo typos,
> of course). It looks like you and I may be in agreement about this
> whole issue.
I would agree too. My only quibble is that it's not just "the need
for copying" that's used a lever. "Consistency with file compilation"
is also being used as a lever.