[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
some comments on CLOS
- To: common-lisp-object-system@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU, ida%aoyama.cc.aoyama.junet@UTOKYO-RELAY.CSNET
- Subject: some comments on CLOS
- From: Masayuki Ida <ida%aoyama.cc.aoyama.junet@UTOKYO-RELAY.CSNET>
- Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 19:32:30 JST
Comments on CLOS ch1 and ch2.
(since I have been on this list
from two day ago, so I do not know
the current context.)
1. explanation around the mixture of defmethod and defun.
I could not find the specification on the mixture of
defmethod and defun with the same name.
is it error ? is it allowed in what sense?
2. for user convenience, explicit interface of
'make-specializable' in the former version is
better than the current way for doing the same
thing using 'user-added-method' or something.
3. Removal of a class and a method.
how user can remove one method ?
how user can remove a class ?
4. Enumeration in the individual method.
(defmethod foo ((x (eql A)))
(defmethod foo ((x (eql B)))
I have an experience to write
methods which have several sigular
points, and whose bodies are same.
I feel happy if a syntax like,
(defmethod foo ((x (member A B C D)))
which shares the same body for the enumerated
individuals will be in the specificaton.
5. 2-79 symbol-macrolet examples
;;; not (let 'foo (let (('foo 'bar)) 'foo)).
;;; not (list 'foo (let (('foo 'bar)) 'foo)).
6. 2-8 line 9
Osub1 | ... | Osubn
and line 14
.... for some 1 <= k <= n, ...
'n' is ambiguous to the 'n' of line 13.
Osub1 | ... | OsubN
and line 14
... for some 1 <= k <= N, ...
replacing small 'n' to large 'N'.
7. 1-19 to 1-21 Integrating Types and Classes
I prefer 'sequence first rule'.
the class precedence list of 'null' should be
(null list symbol sequence t)
(null list sequence symbol t)
(null symbol list sequence t) which
is on Fig 1-1.
How are the discussions on the issue ?
(defmethod foo ((x list))
(defmethod foo ((x symbol))
(foo nil) ?
I feel we cannot absolutely define
the precedence among them.
meta object protocol will solve this problem ?
pathname and stream should at least be
defined to correspond to classes
independent from the context of 1-21.
(since several file handling are OK for
pathnames and streams)
(defmethod device-analysis ((x pathname))
(defmethod device-analysis ((x stream))