[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
change in list format
- To: CommonLoops.pa@arisia.Xerox.COM
- Subject: change in list format
- From: Gregor Kiczales <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 29 Aug 1990 18:53:31 PDT
- Reply-to: kiuchi.pa@arisia.Xerox.COM
The purpose of this message is to propose a change to the format of the
CommonLoops mailing list --- we are suggesting that this mailing list be
replaced with a new usenet newsgroup.
At this time, the CommonLoops mailing list has grown quite large, with
an estimated 800 readers. It requires at least one hour per day of
maintenance to keep it running. Even with that amount of work, there
are still many problems with duplicate messages (as many of you have
Also, now that CLOS is a standard, and there are starting to be many
implementations other than PCL, it seems appropriate to focus the
discussion on the use of CLOS rather than the use of PCL.
The precise proposal is to:
1) Decommission the CommonLoops list.
2) Create a new usenet bboard (probably called "comp.object.clos".)
The charter of the bboard would be discussion of the use, future
development and implementation of the Common Lisp Object System.
3) PCL sources and old archives of the CommonLoops list would still
be maintained on arisia.parc.xerox.com.
At this time, we would like to know whether there are people on this
mailing list who would object to moving to the Usenet BBoard format.
Please reply to this message only if this change would be a problem
Providing that this change does not pose too many problems, expect us to
contact you with information about how you can participate in the usenet
voting process to form the new newsgroup.