[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Class Redefinition
- To: Bobrow.pa@Xerox.COM
- Subject: Re: Class Redefinition
- From: Gregor.pa@Xerox.COM
- Date: 28 Jul 87 16:48 PDT
- Cc: RPG@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU, common-lisp-object-system@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- In-reply-to: Danny Bobrow <Bobrow.pa>'s message of 28 Jul 87 15:26 PDT
As far as "it would be nice if different classes weren't EQ" goes.
Stop thinking about names and naming! If you do, I think it becomes
easier to see why the obsolete class should be a new object and the old
class object should be updated to have the new definition.
defclass just associates a class with a name for convenience. Many
programs will use anonymous classes. In these programs, changes in an
anymous or a named class might cause anymous or named classes to become
obsolete. The obsolete class mechanism needs to support both anonymous
and named classes. In order to do that, the 'redirection' needs to be
at the level of the class object not at the level of the class name.