[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Should redefining a class reinitialize shared slots?
- To: common-lisp-object-system@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- Subject: Should redefining a class reinitialize shared slots?
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 20:19 EDT
- In-reply-to: The message of 30 Sep 87 18:21 EDT from Dick Gabriel <RPG@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>
Date: 30 Sep 87 1521 PDT
From: Dick Gabriel <RPG@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>
``It seems to me the only predictable rules are:
(1) all class slots retain their values when the class is redefined.
(2) all class slots are reinitialized when the class is redefined.''
There is a third option, which would be to specify the redefinition
initialization action in the DEFCLASS as a class slot option (:retain or
:reinitialize, for example).
That's a good point. I could go along with that if we think the extra
complexity is justified.