[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Should redefining a class reinitialize shared slots?
- To: common-lisp-object-system@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- Subject: Should redefining a class reinitialize shared slots?
- From: Dick Gabriel <RPG@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>
- Date: 30 Sep 87 1521 PDT
``It seems to me the only predictable rules are:
(1) all class slots retain their values when the class is redefined.
(2) all class slots are reinitialized when the class is redefined.''
There is a third option, which would be to specify the redefinition
initialization action in the DEFCLASS as a class slot option (:retain or
:reinitialize, for example).
``instance -> class reinitializes the slot, because there is no
distinguished instance from which to get the value.''
Well, we could have declarative slot combination, in which these
values could be combined.... (hee, hee).