[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: Danny Bobrow <Bobrow.pa@Xerox.COM>
- Subject: Re: Shared/local;class/instance
- From: kempf%hplabsz@hplabs.HP.COM
- Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 13:59:58 MST
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: Your message of 29 Sep 87 10:29:00 -0700. <870929-102940-2073@Xerox>
> Therefore, I simply believe that :shared is a better name than
> :class in terms of being intuitive.
> The issue is what the pair of names should be; instance/class or
> local/shared. I have argued on the basis of possible extensions that
> we should use :instance and :class. Another argument is that instance
> and class are used in Smalltalk with the same me> anings. Hence people
> who take a course in object oriented programming using Smalltalk will
> not have to learn yet another isomorphic terminology.
Danny has made a good point. Compatibility with Smalltalk will make
skill transferance easier.