[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: duplicate messages
- To: Wei-Han Chu <CHU@KL.SRI.COM>, fritzson@PRC.Unisys.COM, Hao Tang <tang@alpha.ARPA>, Mike Newton <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Michael Sokolov <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Aaron Cohn <cohn-aaron@YALE.ARPA>
- Subject: Re: duplicate messages
- From: Gregor.pa@Xerox.COM
- Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 10:12 PDT
- Cc: JLarson.pa@Xerox.COM, commonloops.PA@Xerox.COM
- Fcc: BD:>Gregor>mail>outgoing-mail-4.text.newest
- In-reply-to: <12439774950.17.CHU@KL.SRI.COM>, <8810200216.AA00981@caesar.PRC.Unisys.COM>, <8810200326.AA12336@alpha>, <8810200402.AA01629@vlsi.caltech.edu>, <8810201228.AA00345@yy.cicg.rpi.edu>, <8810201500.AB12409@a-boy>, <8810201552.AA12370@MAXINE.CS.YALE.EDU>
- Line-fold: no
Read on, real content at the end.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 16:24:42 PDT
From: Wei-Han Chu <CHU@KL.SRI.COM>
As of late, I am consistently getting serveral duplicate copies for each
message from the PCL mailing list. Is this a problem for any one else?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 22:16:38 EDT
I am also getting duplicates of SOME messages. There is no particular
pattern that describes which messages are delivered twice.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 23:26:58 EDT
From: Hao Tang <tang@alpha.ARPA>
I have also been receiving duplicated copies. Could someone check to see
where the problem is?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 21:02:51 PDT
From: email@example.com (Mike Newton)
I, too am getting many duplicates.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 08:28:47 EDT
I am also getting duplicates. However, not consistently, rather only
occasionally. The last "dupe" I got originated from jeff@aiai... It
seems that the messages that are delayed longer are more likely to be
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 11:00:44 EDT
From: Michael Sokolov <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I think we're all getting messages from both commonloops.PA
and CommonLoops.PA; does this soubd right?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 11:52:31 EDT
From: Aaron Cohn <cohn-aaron@YALE.ARPA>
Actually the person who is closest to right is email@example.com.
No one mentioned the best answer which is its a bug in sendmail.
Certain entries in the mail queue get errors, and then sendmail
tries to deliver the message to everyone on the list over and over
<<comment about sendmail and its host operating system elided>>
Our mailer hackers here are working hard to fix this problem, but the
size and complexity of the CommonLoops list makes it difficult. The
current idea for a fix will reduce the incidence with which people get
duplicate messages, but will not eliminate it completely.
Needless to say, messages about problems like this are best sent to the