[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
CLUE won't compile
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: CLUE won't compile
- From: Jon L White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 21 Jun 90 21:20:17 PDT
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, commonloops.PA@Xerox.COM
- In-reply-to: Steve Strassmann's message of Wed, 13 Jun 90 01:15:43 EDT <9006130515.AA08586@media-lab>
- Redistributed: commonloops.PA
re: On an HP 835 running HP-UX 7.0, X11R4, Lucid 3.0,
I loaded CLX (MIT R4.2), then PCL (5/22/89 Victoria Day), then
attempted to compile CLUE (a user interface package), and got the
Is this a problem in PCL or in CLUE?
The backtrace you showed is a classic case of the "metacircular screw"
-- namely, at some point PCL::NOTICE-METHODS-CHANGE-1 is called on an
"invalid" generic-function in order to update its list of combined,
effective methods; but alas the update computation requires the _use_
of the very generic function undergoing update! and so it gets into
an infinite recursion of calls to PCL::NOTICE-METHODS-CHANGE-1.
I know that the 1990 versions of PCL are much better at avoiding these
metacircular screws -- perhaps you could try using the 5/2/90 "May Day"
PCL instead of "Victoria Day".
-- JonL --