[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Franz Flavors & software copyright
- To: Ellis@YALE.ARPA
- Subject: Re: Franz Flavors & software copyright
- From: fateman%ucbdali@Berkeley (Richard Fateman)
- Date: Tue, 28 Feb 84 06:21:48 GMT
- Cc: franz-friends%ucbdali@Berkeley
- Original-date: Mon, 27 Feb 84 22:21:48 pst
I disagree: writing programs is NOT part of a computer science
professor's research. It is usually quite incidental to
his research: He doesn't get paid depending upon the production of
a program or not.
I suspect that this is the kind of thing that courts decide.
Because patents have been covered by explicit agreement every
place I've worked (Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, and various industrial
firms), I assume if there were no agreements of that nature
that universities would NOT own patents at all.