[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Dylan Constants
- To: Rich Duncan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Dylan Constants
- From: Scott_Fahlman@SEF1.SLISP.CS.CMU.EDU
- Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 07:42:26 -0400
- Cc: Dylan Information Forum <info-dylan@CAMBRIDGE.APPLE.COM>
- In-reply-to: Your message of Mon, 19 Oct 92 23:20:15 -0500. <email@example.com>
From the Dylan reference, there appears to be now way of defining a read
only constant ala the Common Lisp DEFCONSTANT macro.
The Dylan people at Apple have indicated that this will be fixed. I don't
know if they've yet settled on a choice of syntax, but I believe the
current plan is that *all* the "define" forms will produce constants, and
some new form will be created for defining non-constant variables.
Clearly the ability to create simple constants, as in
(defconstant pixel-depth 8)
is essential if code is to be both efficient and readable.
Scott E. Fahlman Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Research Scientist Phone: 412 268-2575
School of Computer Science Fax: 412 681-5739
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213